Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Tips for Toddler Reading Practices

I have to read that book again!?!?  Reading books over and over is great for kids. They learn fluency, build memory, and learn to interact with literature.  However, they are ways to introduce new stories.  I have recently started two things with my daughter that have helped me find joy in the "favorites" while exposing her to new books.



1. I created two book baskets.  One,  that we can take with us on the go and the other that is in the playroom.  I change these books out each week, leaving the ones I know she really loves while introducing new ones.  I have watched her vocabulary grow as we have interacted with more books.  

The On-The-Go box allows for me to close the lid and we can take it in the car as well.  I put the box by her carseat so she can easily reach the books.  We can discuss the books as we go from place to place, or she can read them to me.

The other box typically stays in the house, however it does occasionally venture into the backyard for some outdoor reading. These book are larger and aren't as easy to take on-the-go.

2. I have started a book just for my daughter.  The pages are filled with family members, the alphabet, numbers, and words she is starting to use.  I add to this book as her vocabulary grows. With each word I write short sentences or provide a picture.  This allows for her to identify the people and pictures on the page, as well as, have exposure to the word.







4 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I really like the book idea. I keep seeing this idea pop up this summer. I'm taking it as a sign that I should make a book for my daughter!


    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really a great way to work on words with my daughter. It gets pulled out a lot. I am going to have to revamp it now since the baby is a toddler himself now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice topic for reading... thanks for sharing the information with us it’s really appreciable...
    Professional Assignment Writers

    ReplyDelete