Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

Classroom Tools: Assessing Students Throughout the Year



I am linking up again this week with #Teacher Mom for the second week of Building Back to School. This week we will be discussing Classroom Tools. 

One thing I always wanted for my classroom was a daily assessment where I could get accurate data on what the students know.  I also wanted data on my science and social studies.  It was important for me to see what my students could do on their own.  I had found many homework packets or assignments that could be used for morning work, but they didn't fit my need.  Homework never gave me a true picture of what my students could do and most of the morning work assignments had too many questions.

I decided to make a daily assessment for myself.  My goal was to introduce ELA and math topics and then gradually give students more to do on their own each day.

With the science and social studies I wanted them to reflect research in the real world.  If the students don't know the answers to the science and social studies questions then they should be able to use the key words to research and find the answer.  One of the main goals of 21st Century Learners is that students are able to find and use information.

The other goal of this daily assessment is that it could be completed rather quickly.  This would help keep up with all students completing the assignment each day regardless of their arrival time.  It could also be an easy assignment for students to work on when they finish other subjects early.  And if a student was absent several days it would be easy make-up work.

So with all of those goals in mind I began my 3rd grade Daily Assessment.  You can access the first quarter daily assessment here.   The description tells all of the topics covered in the quarter for all subjects.  The Combo Pack link is available here.  The third grade pack for the entire year (180 days) will be completed in the next month and the fourth grade pack is in the works.

Enter the giveaway below to win the 3rd Grade Daily Assessment - Quarter 1.  Also check out the other bloggers in this link up for additional classroom tools to build your school year.



a Rafflecopter giveaway

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love how your assessment pack incorporates Science and Social Studies. You don't see that too often. Love that it is a spiral review as well. Keep up the great work!

    Angela
    Sugar Cube Learning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I always feel so behind on the science and social studies when testing draws close.

      Jessica

      Delete
  2. Great idea to incorporate science & social studies. Wish you had a K version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am working on getting other grades done. It is just a slower process and I want to make sure each grade is user friendly for both teacher and students.

      Jessica

      Delete
  3. That is a wonderful idea! Are you planning to create them for other grades as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am staring 4th grade and have 2nd and 5th mapped out. Then I will work my way to K-1st. I want to make sure each year works for both students and teachers.

      Thanks,
      Jessica

      Delete