Pages

Monday, August 17, 2015

Language Tool: Poetry Throughout the Year





This week I am linking up with #Teachermom for another week of the Building Back to School Link-Up.  This week I am sharing with you ways that poetry can enhance your language curriculum.  


Poetry is such a great teaching tool and I have found it being the thing that is last on the list when teaching literature.  There are so many wonderful ways to use poetry.

1. Running Records
2. Teaching Fluency
3. Read Alouds (especially on the days when time is tight)
4. Teaching ELA Standards
5. Inferencing
6. Parts of Speech

The list could go on and on.  One the newest ways I have used poetry is in my Literacy Center.  I have been able to incorporate many of the common core standards in this center.  I wrote each poem used in the center so it would address the standards and skills I feel the students need at that time.  I have used both an activity board where every student does each assignment and as a choice board.


I love that poetry allows students to ability to really dissect the word choice and look at the different parts of speech.  I have found that most students, especially students with reading difficulty, love poetry.  It is shorter, and therefore brings less stress.  Students can quickly see the beginning and end.

With these centers I have also been able to incorporate math, science, and social studies.  I created a What Is Poetry Book to accompany the August/September Center (on SALE now).  This book teaches the poetry vocabulary and types of poetry that will be used throughout the school year.


Below you will find all of the topics used throughout the school year in the Poetry Literacy Centers for the Year

You can access my FREE Groundhog Day Poetry Literacy Center here



a Rafflecopter giveaway

4 comments:

  1. I used to love teaching poetry to my fifth graders. And they in turn loved any opportunity to write poetry.

    Margaux
    Learning with Sunflower Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great! I always enjoyed teaching poetry. It amazes me how many people don't like teaching it and because of that, the students don't enjoy it.

      Jessica

      Delete
  2. I'm a first grade teacher in love with poetry. I've got a year long back for first graders in my store! I've especially loved teaching how to write poetry during the Dr. Seuss season!

    Whitney
    Thefirstgraderoundup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are using poetry in 1st grade!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete