Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Currently January

Ok so I am not so currently seeing as how February is just a few days away, but I wanted to link up with Oh' Boy 4th Grade to share some of the things I have been doing lately.


I have spent my life wanting to be a writer.  But the fear of the page, the reviews, and my own insecurities have keep me from putting my words out there.  I decided I was tired of all of these words dancing in my head and decided to just jump right into the deep end.  

I read several books recently that helped me get in perspective.  I loved Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I love that my writing doesn't have to be for the world.  It can be just for me and it can be incredibly imperfect and still be rewarding.  In response to her book she did a podcast called Magic Lessons.  I love how these lessons connect to the real world.  

I fell in love with Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan.  I have always loved her writing and after reading this book I did some research on Pam.  Turns out she didn't start writing until her third child was in preschool and she was working on an education degree.  Well, guess what both my kiddos are in preschool now and I find I have so many stories to tell to them and about them.  That knowledge pushed me to finish a picture book manuscript I have been working on and submit it to be critiqued at an upcoming writer's conference.  Who knows what will happen, but I am so proud of myself for taking the chance.  

The holiday season has left me in warp speed and I can't seem to slow down.  It is like I am on a roller coaster that never stops.  Round and round and up and down and on and on and on.  I have to get off and I am fairly certain it is just going to have to be a leap of faith to get off this ride.  I need to find time to sit and refocus.  

The south has been cold and wet too often lately.  I am ready to see green grass poking through and my cherry blossoms to start blooming.  The whole family is desperately in need of warm backyard days.  

And for my one word...believe.  It is time that I start believing in myself.  I need to believe that I am a good wife, mother, friend, daughter, and writer.  I don't need the words of others to tell me that.  I just need the knowledge, the belief, that I am.  I wake up every day with the goal of being the best I can be and it is time that I believe that I am.  

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I have a good friend and teacher who just published her second children's book! I say go for it! I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Right now I am in the waiting period. But fingers crossed I will find someone who can help me move forward. What books has your friend published? I'd love to read them!

      Jessica

      Delete