Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Writing Exemplar for Personal Narratives - Yellow


Yellow
By: Jessica Zannini

  My bike had a basket, but it definitely didn’t need one that day.  It was a warm spring day before the butterflies emerge.  I had just gotten the coolest yellow bike at Christmas.  This was my first chance to ride without the cold wind blowing in my face. 
  My best friend, Rebecca, came and asked if I wanted to go for a ride.
  “Of course!” I said.  “Today would be a perfect day.”
  We decided to ride up and down the hill in front of my house.  My dad was cutting the grass, and the lull of the lawn mower made me wish for the carefree days of summer. 
  We were having a blast!  The air was warm enough to take off our shoes and the pavement felt warm as I placed my feet on the ground.  I was preparing for a flight down the hill. It was awesome. I went faster than ever.  As I peddled back towards my house, I was so excited.  I couldn’t wait to tell my dad about my ride.  Nearing the mailbox something caught my eye.  I tried to stop, but I couldn’t.
  SPLAT!  The yellow guts poured out onto the street. My basket had blocked my view of a caterpillar and now he would never become a beautiful butterfly.  The tears began to well up in my eyes.  There were so many tears that they began spilling down my cheek. 
  I was so upset that I dropped my bike in the road and took off full speed into my house.  What had I done?  How could I have taken the life of a beautiful caterpillar that would one day become a butterfly?
  My dad came into my room after me and asked me what I was so upset about. Through my sobs, I informed him that because of my stupid basket I had run over a caterpillar and killed it.   I told him that I would not longer ride a bike, because I didn’t want to kill anymore innocent animals. He said that he felt I would need to still ride my bike some.  He thought that I would get tired of walking everywhere and it would be a shame to not ride the bike that I had loved so much. 

  After our talk, I decided that I really didn’t want to quit riding my bike forever so I told him he had to take the basket off of my bike.  From that day on, my bike was basket free and I have not run over any more caterpillars!

©2016 - Jessica Zannini

Photo: vali_111/Dollar Photo Club

0 comments:

Post a Comment