Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Back 2 School Procedures and Policies - Do They Know What You Expect?


Today I am linking up with my fabulous friend, Erin, from Snazzy in Second.  This week we are focusing on Procedures and Policies.  I want to share with you how I practice and assess student understanding of my procedures.


What do you do the first day of school?  The second day of school?  The first two weeks of school? Teach your procedures!  Teaching your students what you expect those first few weeks will save you so much time throughout the school year.  There are many ways to get your students to understand and meet your expectations.  I am sharing 4 of my favorite strategies to get my students moving, having fun, and stepping up to my expectations.

Charades
This is one of my favorites.  Not only are you getting the chance to see if students understand what you expect, but you learn your personalities.  Who is shy, who loves the stage, and who loves to be right first.  This is a great start to your school day or wrap up activity at the end of the day.  I take each of the procedures we have learned and put them in a box, bag, or cup (basically whatever material I have handy at the time).  I will have students come up, grab a procedure, and act it out. You know students will start calling out answers and this is a great opportunity to remind them of your expectations for answering questions when you are in a whole group.  You can access my charade cards here.



Teacher Model
Modeling what you expect is a great way to teach your procedures.  But, an even better way to it to model the wrong way. Students love to catch you doing something wrong.  This gives you the chance to have a little fun with your students, and it let's them put your expectations into words.  When they catch you ask, "Oh, I did that wrong?  Well, what should I have done instead?"


Procedure Assessment
Usually around the 3rd or 4th day of school you have tons of forms, paperwork, and parent notes to sort.  On this day I will give students the procedure assessment.  You can access my assessment here. This assessment allows you a few minutes of time to sort those papers that have to get to the office, or give papers back to students that are missing information.  When the students are finished, I teach my expectations for students grading their own work.  I have all students put their pencils under their chairs and give everyone a colored pencil from my cup.  I will give every student the same color (for example, this assessment will be graded in purple).  We will review it as an entire class. Students can mark checks and xs. I typically have students write the correct answer if they missed it.  This gives them to opportunity to write and associate the correct answer.  When students are finished I have them write any questions they have or a note to themselves about their results.  (For example, "Can you help me organize my notebook the correct way?"  "Great job!  You are meeting Mrs. Zannini's expectations."  "Don't forget to copy your homework every morning.") You can access my Procedure Test here.


Procedure Trivia Game 
Again, this is another chance to teach a procedure (playing games) with reviewing procedures.  There are tons of Promethean and Smartboard trivia templates.  I usually make this game before the school year starts.  This is a great way for me to review my expectations before I have to teach them.  The trivia game allows you to see your expectations for playing games.  Since this can be an exciting time, I tell them that groups that distract from the group guessing will lose a point.  I want the students to have fun, but it is important that everyone is focused and gaining the correct information to all questions and not just the ones presented to their groups.

I hope these strategies will help you in planning how to assess your students. I am always on the look out for new exciting ways to get through those first two weeks!  What ways have you found to assess if students understand your expectations?  Now head on over to Snazzy in Second to learn more and enter the rafflecopter!

Jessica

Credit: Blue Background and Test Border by Krista Wallden.  


3 comments:

  1. Oh, charades, I've done it for other things, but never in 23 years for procedures -- clever!! I am going to give it a go. I love 'stage stuff' so this will be fun! Thanks for sharing!

    The Red Brick Road Teacher

    ReplyDelete