Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

3 Books You Need to Read Right Now


The past 7 months I have learned so much about writing, creating, and marketing.  I feel like I got a business degree without the guidance of a syllabus.  After months of feeling like my list was growing longer and my mind was racing out of control, I was led to these 3 books.  If you are looking for finding creativity, learning how to connect with others in business, and wanting to find a way out of that giant to-do-list, then you have to read these 3 books.

1. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert
This book spoke to me from the first sentence.  I felt like Elizabeth Gilbert was sitting beside me on the couch coaching me through my need for perfection and my fear of not having perfect words.  I love that she says that creativity doesn't have to be something you are great at and it doesn't have to reach the masses.  I love creating and I feel that I have to be perfect for people to want it. I love the freedom of just being able to create for myself.  No perfection, no marketing, just plain old creating for the fun of it!


2. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
I am horrible at walking into new situations,  horrible at small talk with the cashier at a store, and horrible about starting conversations with strangers. I don't know where this fear came from, how id developed, or why it still haunts me at 39.  But, this book helped me realize how much I am on the right track.  What gets stuck in my head is the right thing to say.  I care deeply about other people, but I am always afraid that I will offhandedly offend someone.  I now know why this book has been popular for almost a century.  I just comes down to making others feel important.  A simple smile, a kind word, a nice note.

3. Make it Happen by Lara Casey
So I am sticking with this theme of getting over being perfect.  And this book pushed that issue as well.  I love the freedom of perfect.  That freedom has allowed me to write 23 posts in 23 days and freed me from the fear of pushing publish.  Honestly, what horrible thing could happen?  I write a bad sentence, I miss a word, yep that isn't what a publisher or editor wants, but right now my goal is to write and put my words out in the universe.  Lara Casey has dealt with the demons of being perfect many times.  Her advice is amazing and her tips on tackling a to-do list are life and time-saving!

0 comments:

Post a Comment